In today’s sermon, we are reminded of a profound truth that sets the gospel of Jesus Christ apart–God’s grace flows to the desperate not the deserving. Consider Jesus’s beatitudes: He says blessed are the poor in spirit, who mourn, who are humble, who hunger and thirst, who are persecuted for righteousness. Consider now 1 Samuel 21 where we find a desperate David. He’s a fugitive on the run desperate to survive. He makes questionable moral decisions–some that he would later regret because they put others in harm. So why does God still give David what he needs? This is the most scandalous truth about the gospel of Jesus. It may even be the hardest truth for the human heart to grasp. World religions demand that provision be earned or deserved, but this is not the case with Jesus Christ.
- God’s grace flows to the desperate not the deserving.
- God provides refuge among the redeemed.
- Matthew 12:7
- Matthew 12:8
- God provides daily bread in the Scriptures.
- Ephesians 4:7-8
- God provides equipment by the Holy Spirit.
- “Peace be with you!” –John 20:19
- “Receive the Holy Spirit.” –John 20:22