For several months now, I have been wrestling with the question: does my rhythm of life necessitate the presence and the power of the Holy Spirit? Do I really need the Holy Spirit to live the life I am currently living? This question has stirred within me deep conviction concerning the depth of my communion with Christ, the effectiveness of my service to Christ, and the practical purity of my life in Christ.
As a pastor, I have also asked this question of The Hallows Church. Does our rhythm of life and ministry necessitate the presence and the power of the Holy Spirit? Do we really need the Holy Spirit to do what we are currently doing as a church in our efforts to magnify and to multiply the gospel through Seattle to the ends of the earth?
Can we discern the difference the Holy Spirit makes in the ways in which we love God, one another, and our neighbors? Can we discern the difference the Holy Spirit makes by how the gospel flows fluidly and frequently from our mouths? Can we discern the difference the Holy Spirit makes in the ways in which we exercise our faith by serving sacrificially, giving generously, praying boldly, and walking humbly?
In light of such questions, we are launching a new message series titled “Indwelled and Empowered: Exploring the Person and Work of the Holy Spirit.” The tentative teaching plan for this series is listed below; however, it is subject to adjustments in stride.
- September 21, John 14:15-31—The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit, Part 1
- September 28, John 15:26-27—The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit, Part 2
- October 5, John 16:5-15—The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit, Part 3
- October 12, Ezekiel 36:22-32; 1 Corinthians 3:16-17—The Holy Spirit and the New Covenant
- October 19, John 3:1-10—The Holy Spirit and the New Birth
- October 26, Luke 11:1-13, The Holy Spirit and Intimacy with God
- November 2, Luke 11:1-13, Prayer, Praise, and Communion Gathering
- November 9, Romans 5:1-5, The Holy Spirit and New Life, Part 1
- November 16, Romans 8:1-17—The Holy Spirit and New Life, Part 2
- November 23, Romans 8:18-30—The Holy Spirit and New Life, Part 3
- November 30, Luke 1:26-38—The Holy Spirit and Holy Advent, Part 1
- December 7, Luke 1:39-56—The Holy Spirit and Holy Advent, Part 2
- December 14, Luke 1:57-80—The Holy Spirit and Holy Advent, Part 3
- December 21, Luke 2:1-38—The Holy Spirit and Holy Advent, Part 4
- December 28, Luke Overview–The Holy Spirit and the Messiah’s Ministry
- January 4, A Journey through 1 Corinthians begins
I believe God has good and glorious things in store for our church as we press into His Christ-exalting, life-transforming presence. Please join me in praying that God prevents this from being an abstract exercise in biblical studies. Pray that God leverages our study of Scripture to intensify the awareness of His empowering presence in the concrete experiences of our daily lives.